His parentage is confirmed by the undated charter, dated to before 1190, under which "Hugh de Say and Lucia his wife, daughter of Walter de Clifford, son of Richard fitz Poncius" donated the mill of Rochford to Haughmond Abbey. "Rog fil Ric, Walti fr eius…" witnessed the charter dated to  which records that "Ricard Pontii filii" granted the manor of "Lechia" to "Mathildi uxori mee in matrimoniu" in exchange for her original marriage portion, the manor of Ullingswick in Herefordshire, which he gave to "Helie Giff in mat-monu cum filia mea Berta". The 1130 Pipe Roll records "Walto fil Ric" in Gloucestershire. A charter of Stephen King of England dated 1138 confirmed donations to Gloucester St Peter including the exchange of "manerio Esleche" for “manerio de Glasberie de Walterio de Cliffort". "Walterus de Clifforde" confirmed the donation of "medietatem totius manerii de Ullingewike" made to Gloucester St Peter by "Berta soror mea…concessione Helyæ Giffardi filiii sui primogeniti", with the consent of "Walterus filius meus primogenitus", by charter dated 1152. “…Waltero de Clifford…Osberto filio Hugonis, Willielmo de Bealchamp…” witnessed the undated charter, dated to , which records the donation by “Rogerus comes Herefordiæ” to Brecknock priory. The 1157 Pipe Roll records "Walto de Clifford" in Herefordshire. Military fee certifications in the Red Book of the Exchequer, in 1166, name "Walterus de Clifford…quintæ parties i militem" among those providing military service for Westminster abbey in Worcestershire, that "Walterus de Clifford" held "Corpham et Culmintone et Halam de Ernestowe et les Clives" for one knight’s fee from "Roberti de Britone" in Shropshire, and held one knight’s fee in Hereford from the bishop.
Lord of the manor of Rochford in Herefordshire. “Walterus de Clifford” donated property to Dore abbey, Herefordshire, with the consent of "Margaretæ uxoris meæ", for the souls of "…filiorum et filiarum nostrarum et Osberti filii Hugonis", by undated charter, witnessed by "…Waltero de Clifford juvene et Rosamunda sorore sua…". “Walterus de Clifford” donated property to Godstow nunnery in Oxfordshire, for the souls of "uxoris meæ Margaretæ de Clifford et filiæ nostræ Rosamundæ", confirmed by "Walterus de Clifford junior filius et hæres prædicti Walteri", by undated charter witnessed by "Osbertus filius Hugonis, Hugo de Sey, Ric de Clifford, Will. frater eius…". "Osbern fitz Hugh" donated a virgate at Richard’s Castle to Haughmond Abbey by charter dated to [1172/85], witnessed by "Walter de Clifford, Walter his son, Hugh de Say and Lucie his wife". The Red Book of the Exchequer refers to "Walterus de Clifford xx s in hoc comitatu" in Wiltshire in [1186/87]. 1