|Gilbert DE TURBERVILLE
Gilbert DE TURBERVILLE
- Born: Coity, Bridgend, Glamorganshire, Wales
Compiler's 23 x great-grandfather
The second Norman family which made considerable grants to the Priory of Ewenny were the Turbervilles, Lords of Coity. The first benefactor of this family of whom there is conclusive proof that grants were made by him was Simon de Turberville, who was clearly the elder or eldest son of that Payn de Turberville who was the first Turberville lord of Coity. His grants are known by the confirmation by his brother and successor Gilbert de Turberville of the villein Godric Fuller, forty acres of land, and the land of Carneldon. To this his brother Gilbert added twenty-four acres of land at Wick and the right to have a sumpter horse to go to his wood for firewood, twice daily in winter and three times daily in summer. This grant was made conditionally on the right of himself and his heirs to be buried before the high altar of the Priory Church. This grant and confirmation was confirmed by Nicholas, Bishop of Llandaff, probably at the same time as made. These grants of Simon and Gilbert de Turberville in so far as they concerned the land of Carneldon and the twenty-four acres at Wick had been confirmed by Maurice de Londres, as their superior lord, both before 1148, while the grant of the twenty-four acres at Wick were similarly confirmed by Maurice de Londres after 1148. There is also a confirmation by this same Gilbert de Turberville of the little meadow of Lemersham, which his tenant, Hugh the son of Elfric, had given to the Priory. 1
Gilbert married Agnes.
1 National Library of Wales journal - Cylchgronau Cymru Ar-lein: Welsh Journals Online: Ewenny Priory: some recently-found records.