1. Infanta dona Tereza DE PORTUGAL
2. Infanta doña Berenguela DE CASTILLA
- Infanta doña Sancha DE LEÓN
- Infante don Fernando DE LEÓN
- Infanta doña Dulce DE LEÓN, Señora de Valdeorras
0. Unnamed Mistress
0. Inés Iñíguez DE MENDOZA, Mistress
- Pedro ALFONSO, Maestre de Santiago
0. Aldonza Martínez DE SILVA, Mistress
0. Estefanía PÉREZ, Mistress
- Rodrigo ALFONSO, Señor de Aliger y Castro del Río
- Aldonza Alfonso DE LEÓN
- Teresa Alfonso DE LEÓN
0. Maura, Mistress
0. Teresa Gil DE SOVEROSA, Mistress
- Fernando ALFONSO, Dean of Santiago, Archdean of Salamanca
- Sancha Alfonso DE LEÓN
- María Alfonso DE LEÓN
- Martín Alfonso DE LEÓN, Knight of the Order of Santiago
- Urraca DE LEÓN
Infante don Alfonso IX DE CASTILLA y León
- Born: 15 Aug 1171, Zamora, León, Spain
- Married (1): 15 Feb 1191, Guimarães, Braga, Portugal
- Married (2): Dec 1197, Valladolid, Spain
- Died: 24 Sep 1230, Villanueva de Sarria, Galacia, Spain
Also known as Alfonso IX DE LEÓN, King of León, Galicia and Castile.
Compiler's 22/23/24/25 x great-grandfather
The Chronicon Conimbricensi records the birth “mense Februario…in die Ascensionis Domini” (presumably an error) in 1171 of “Rex Alfonsus filius Regis Fernandi et Dñæ Orace Reginæ”. The Chronicle of Alberic de Trois-Fontaines names "Aldefonsus rex Legionis" as son of "Fernando [frater regis Sanctii]".
He succeeded his father in 1188 as ALFONSO IX King of León and Galicia. He held the first documented Cortes in León in 1188, attended by duly elected representatives of towns as well as nobles and ecclesiasts. The Pope excommunicated him because of his first marriage, between cousins without papal dispensation, and placed León under an interdict until Alfonso agreed to a separation. Another dispute broke out with the church after he married his second wife, also his first cousin, from whom he was also obliged to separate.
He succeeded in 1217 as ALFONSO IX King of Castile, by right of his second wife and son. He successfully campaigned against the Moors, capturing Lazeres, Merida, Elvas, Badajoz and several towns in Extremadura in 1228.
The Anales Toledanos record the death in 1230 “en Villanneva de Saria” of “el Rey Don Alfonso de Leon, Padre del Rey D. Fernando”. 1
Alfonso married Infanta dona Tereza DE PORTUGAL, daughter of Infante dom Sancho I “o Poblador” DE PORTUGAL and Infanta doña Dulcia DE ARAGÓN, on 15 Feb 1191 in Guimarães, Braga, Portugal. (Tereza DE PORTUGAL was born about 1176 and died on 17 Jun 1250 in Lorvano, Spain.)
Alfonso also married Infanta doña Berenguela DE CASTILLA, daughter of Infante don Alfonso VIII "el Noble" DE CASTILLA and Eleanor PLANTAGENET, Princess of England, in Dec 1197 in Valladolid, Spain. (Berenguela DE CASTILLA was born about Jun 1180 in Segovia, Castile, Spain and died on 8 Nov 1246 in Las Huelgas, Burgos, Castile y León, Spain.)