2. Infante doña Beatriz Alfonso DE CASTILLA y León
1. Ctsse Mathilde DE DAMMARTIN et de Boulogne
0. Mariana Pirez DE ENXARA, Mistress
- Infanta dona Branca DE PORTUGAL
- Infante dom Fernando DE PORTUGAL (d.y.)
- Infante dom Diniz "o Justo" DE PORTUGAL+
- Infante dom Afonso DE PORTUGAL, Senhor de Portoalegre...
- Infanta dona Sancha DE PORTUGAL
- Infanta dona Maria DE PORTUGAL
- Infante dom Vicente DE PORTUGAL (d.y.)
0. Magdalena Gil MUNIZ, Mistress
- Fernando Afonso DE PORTUGAL, Knight of the Order of Templars
- Afonso Diniz DE PORTUGAL, Senhor de Pouça
0. Elvira ESTEVEZ, Mistress
- Gilles Afonso DE PORTUGAL, Knight of the Order of St John
- Martim Afonso "Chicorro" DE PORTUGAL, Governor of Chaves
0. Unknown Mistresses
- Leonor Afonso DE PORTUGAL
- Rodrigo Afonso DE PORTUGAL, Prior at Santarem and Alenquer.
- Urraca Afonso DE PORTUGAL
- Leonor Afonso DE PORTUGAL, Nun at Santa Clara, Santarem
- Urraca Afonso DE PORTUGAL, Nun at Lorvano
- Henrique Afonso DE PORTUGAL
Infante dom Afonso III “o Restaurador” DE PORTUGAL
- Born: 5 May 1210, Coimbra, Portugal
- Married (1): 1235
- Married (2): May 1253, Toledo, Castile
- Died: 18 Apr 1279, Lisboa, Portugal
Afonso was also known as Afonso III AFONSEZ, King of Portugal
Compiler's 22 x great-grandfather
The De Rebus Hispaniæ of Rodericus Ximenes names "Sancius Regem Portugalliæ successorem…Aldefonsum" as the sons of "Aldefonsum" & his wife. The Nobiliario of Pedro Conde de Barcelos names "D. Sancho, D. Alfonso, D. Fernando de Serpa" as the sons of "D. Alonso Sanchez Rey de Portugal" and his wife "D. Urraca". “Alphonsus...Portugaliæ Rex...cum uxore mea Regina D. Urraca et filliis meis Infantibus Dono Sancio et Dono Alphonso et Dona Eleonor” granted property “in Ansede” to “Gunsalvo Gomes homini meo” by charter dated Jun 1217.
Comte de Boulogne-sur-Mer 1238-1251. “Alfonsus, filius…regis Portugaliæ, comes Bolonie” recorded his agreements with “Thomam comitem et Johannam eius uxorem comitissam Flandrensem” by charter dated Nov 1241 which names “quondam comes Ferrandus patruus noster et Johanna, quondam eius uxor…et Marie filie ipsius…patruus noster P. dominus regni Majoricarum, vel Sancyus frater noster rex Portugalie…M. comitissa Bolonie uxor nostra”. Regent of Portugal 1245-1248. “Alphonsus comes Boloniæ et filius...Alphonsi Regis Portugalliæ” swore to govern “Regum Portugalliæ” by charter dated 7 Sep 1245 at Paris.
He succeeded his brother in 1248 as AFONSO III “o Restaurador” King of Portugal. He reconquered the Algarve. He summoned the first meeting of a three estate Portuguese Cortes at Leiria in 1254. The testament of “Alphonsus...Rex Portug. et Algarbii”, dated 23 Nov 1271, chose burial “in Monasterio Alcobaciæ”, appointed “Dono Dionysio meo filio” as his successor, made bequests to “D. Blancæ filiæ meæ...D. Sanciæ filiæ meæ...D. Alienor, quam habeo de Elvira Stephani...Egidio Alphonsi filio meo...Martini Alphonsi filio meo...Alphonso filio meo, quem nutrivit Martinus Petri clericus meus”, and appointed among the executors “Reginam Beatricem uxorem meam...”.
The Chronicon Conimbricensi records the death “XIV Kal Mai” in 1279 of “Dñs Alfonsus…Rex tertius Portugalis”. The Breve Chronicon Alcobacense records that "Rex Alfonsus…comes Bolonie" was buried "Alcobacie cum uxore sua". The Nobiliario of Pedro Conde de Barcelos records that "D. Alonso…Rey de Portugal" died "Era 1317" and was buried "en Alcobaça". 1
Afonso married Ctsse Mathilde DE DAMMARTIN et de Boulogne, daughter of Cte Renaud I DE DAMMARTIN et de Boulogne and Ide DE FLANDRE, Comtesse de Boulogne-sur-Mer, in 1235. They were divorced in 1253. (Mathilde DE DAMMARTIN died between 9 Oct 1261 and 8 Feb 1263.)
Afonso also married Infante doña Beatriz Alfonso DE CASTILLA y León, daughter of Infante don Alfonso X "el Sabio" DE CASTILLA y León and María Guillén DE GUZMÁN, Señora de Alcocer..., in May 1253 in Toledo, Castile. (Infante doña Beatriz Alfonso DE CASTILLA y León was born in 1242 in Toledo, Castile and died on 27 Oct 1303 in Torres Vedras, Lisboa, Portugal.).