|Cte Thierry DE CHARPEIGNE
(Est 935-Aft 1006)
Cte Thierry DE CHARPEIGNE
- Born: Between 925 and 945, Mousson, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Lorraine, France
- Died: After 1006, Bar-le-Duc, Meuse, Argonne, Lorraine, France
Also called Thibaud DE BAR 1
Compiler's 28/30/31/32 x great-grandfather
The county of Charpeigne (pagus Scarponensis) derives its name from the Roman encampment of Scarpona, at Dieulouard on the river Moselle south of Pont-à-Mousson. It covered the territory south of Metz from Ars-sur-Moselle southwards to the counties of Toul and Chaumontois, mainly on the left bank of the Moselle as far as the county of Verdun and including the abbey of Gorze (although the abbey itself was vassal of the bishopric of Metz). The division of Lotharingian territories agreed 8 Aug 870 between Ludwig II "der Deutsche" King of the East Franks and his half-brother Charles II "le Chauve" King of the West Franks allocated and "…comitatum…Scarponinse…" to King Charles.
Comte Thierry "comes de comitatu Barrense" is named in charters of Saint-Mihiel dated 1002 and 1006. 2
Thierry married Sconehilde DE BAR-LE-DUC. (Sconehilde DE BAR-LE-DUC died after 1006.)
1 Comtes de Bar, Lorraine, Bar (et Barrois), Etienne Pattou, 2005, 2007, p. 2.
2 Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Medlands: Comtes de Charpeigne.