["Umberto comitis et uxoris suæ" signed the charter dated 4 Apr 1003 under which Eudes Bishop of Belley granted land "in pago Gratiopolitano in agro Salmojacense". It is not certain whether this charter relates to Humbert [I] "blancis manibus" Comte de Maurienne or to his supposed maternal uncle Humbert Comte [de Belley].] "Rodolfus rex" jointly with "…comitibus Rodulpho et Uberto" gave the castle of Moras to "Umberto episcopo eiusque matri domine Freburgie et nepotibus eius, Wigonis bone memorie filiis, Umberto Wigoni Willelmo" by charter dated 6 Jun 1009. "Domni Umberti comes, Lambertus comes…" witnessed the charter dated 1 Apr 1018 under which "Ratcherius" confirmed a donation to "Sancti Petri Romani monasterio". Lanter Bishop of Langres granted property "in comitatu Genevensi et pago Albonensi in villa…Casei", except for that part held by "Ermengardis regina", to "nostro amico Humberto comiti et duobus heredibus filiis eius…unus…Amedeus et alter Burchardus episcopus" for life, by charter dated 8 Apr 1022. "Ermengardis, domini Rodulphi regis coniux" founded the monastery of Talloires "in pago Albanense in villa…Talueris", with the advice of "…comitis Umberti", by charter dated to , signed by "Umberti comitis…". "Donnus Ubertus comes" exchanged property with "Dominum Brocardum Episcopum Augustensis" by charter dated 16 Nov . "Ermengart regina" donated "duos mansos in pago Genevense" to Cluny, for the soul of her late husband Rudolf III King of Burgundy, acting "per advocatum meum comitum Humbertum", by charter dated to [1033/48]. It is assumed that this document refers to Comte Humbert, although this is not beyond all doubt. Saint-Genis (who assumes that the co-identity is correct) suggests that the use of the term "advocatum" in this document indicates that Humbert was administrator of royal lands only and was not a direct fiefholder himself. If this is correct, the title "comes" would have been honorary, linked to his royal appointment rather than territorial holdings. At first sight the hypothesis of Saint-Genis appears attractive because, if Humbert held no county, his parentage may have been obscure, which could account for the difficulties in tracing his origin. However, there appears no reason why Humbert could not have held comital jurisdiction over a specific territory at the same time as an appointment as "advocatus" of the queen in relation to her own property. In any case, all the earlier documents quoted here confirm that Humbert held full comital status, although none of them specify his geographical jurisdiction (which is not unusual for early 11th century charters). His appointment by Queen Ermengarde as her representative may indicate a family relationship between the two, which cannot now be traced as the queen´s parentage is not known. "Amedeus filius Uberti comitis et Adaelgida uxor mea" donated "ecclesia S. Mauricii…in pago…Maltacena" to the priory of Bourget by charter dated 22 Oct 1030, signed by "Uberti comitis, Anciliæ uxoris eius, Amedei comitis, Adilæ uxoris eius…Rodulphi regis, reginæ Ermengardis, Odonis, Antelmi". Humbert recognised the suzerainty of Emperor Konrad II, to whom King Rudolf III bequeathed the kingdom of Burgundy in 1032, and fought against Eudes II Comte de Blois who challenged the emperor´s succession. The emperor invested Humbert with Chablais and Saint-Maurice en Valley in 1034 as a reward for his services.
From this time, he is taken to have become HUMBERT I "blancis manibus/of the White Hands" Comte de Maurienne, Comte de Chablais. His nickname appeared for the first time in the 14th century Chronicle of Hautecombe. According to Szabolcs de Vajay, the popular version is a misreading of "blancis moenibus/of the White fortresses". Saint-Genis suggests that the nickname should be considered the equivalent of "clean hands", indicating Humbert´s honesty in administrative dealings. "Domnum Humbertum comitem et filium eius Amadeum" are named as present in the charter dated 1037 which records the foundation of the priory of Bugey. "Hubertus comes" donated property to the canons of Saint-Jean and Saint-Urse by charter dated 1040, signed and consented to by "Oddo, Amedeus comes, Aymo Sedunensis episcopus, Brochardus filius Huberti comitis, Petrus marchio filius Odonis marchionis et commitissæ". "Domnus Upertus comes" is named in a charter relating to a church "in loco Scalas quod antiquitus vocatur Lavastrone" dated 21 Jan 1042, signed by "Brochardi archiepiscopi, Aimoni episcopi, Ameei, Oddoni, Orlini et filiorum eius Wigoni, Anselmi, Rostagni, Bornoni…Rostagni". "Umbertus comes et filii mei Amedeus et Oddo" donated the church "in pago qui antiquitus vocatur Lavastrone…Scalas in episcopati Gratianopolitano" to the abbey of Saint-Chaffre by charter dated 10 Jun 1042, signed by "Brochardi archiepiscopi, Amedei comitis, Oddonis, Bornonis, Aureliani, Rostagni". "Humbertus comes et Theobaldus episcopus Maurianensis" donated property to the canons of Saint-Jean by charter dated 14 Jun 1046, signed by "Aimonis nepotis eius, Ioannis, Berillonis, Odonis". "Domni Huberti comitis…" subscribed the charter of "Aymo" (his presumed grandson) dated . 1